Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The redemption of George Wallace

Wow. Read this article by Peggy Wallace Kennedy about her father, George Wallace, and her support of Barack Obama. Being a child of the South and having witnessed redemption in the lives of so many family members and loved ones with regard to their views on race, I found it very touching.

Here's an excerpt:
When I was a young voter and had little interest in politics, my father
would mark my ballot for me. As I thought about the woman in the cemetery, I
mused that if he were alive and I had made the same request for this election,
there would be a substantial chance, though not a certainty, that he would put
an "X" by Obama's name.
Perhaps it would be the last chapter in his search for inner peace that became so important to him after becoming a victim of hatred and violence himself when he was shot and gravely injured in a Laurel, Maryland, shopping center parking lot. Perhaps it would be a way of reconciling in his own mind that what he once stood for did not prevent freedom of opportunity and self-advancement from coming full circle; his final absolution.

And I love this line:

Today, Barack Obama is hope for a better tomorrow for all Americans. He
stands on the shoulders of all those people who have incessantly prayed for a
day when "justice will run down like waters and righteousness as a mighty
stream" (Amos 5:24).


No comments: