Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Stay at Home Wives

Now here is an interesting article. And even more interesting are the comments below it. People have strong feelings about this subject. Frankly, I don't know what mine are. Part of me doesn't understand it. I can't imagine not working, much less not working and having no kids. Then again, I can. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I don't think I would work. And recently, I advised my sister, who is pregnant, to take her boyfriend up on his offer that she doesn't have to work. I wish I had time to volunteer more and to cook and have a clean, organized house (OK, who am I kidding, I would have a maid). I'm a little angry at the vehement comments from women in reaction to this article. There is a part of me who feels guilty for not wanting it "all" because that's what so many women fought for me to have, but really, didn't they fight for me to have the option? The women in this story are simply exercising their options. If they are happy and I'm still allowed to choose my career, isn't that what we have always wanted?

1 comment:

darah said...

I think the thing that would weird me out is that I would feel like a 'kept' woman. I am about as close to being a stay at home mom as I'll ever be - which is a work from home mom - unless we win the lottery in which case we'd be a stay at home family I'm pretty sure. With a maid.
But I already struggle with inner conflict surrounding wanting to be my daughter's primary daytime caregiver and bringing in 'enough' money to contribute to the household so that I feel I bring more to the table than my domestic duties. That's my own deal though. It comes from being raised by a slew of single moms and knowing that a physical paycheck brings value and satisfaction to my life. Again though, that is me. I have a lot of friends who stay home and actually neither my mom nor my aunt work - though neither are married, and they love it. It might drive me crazy to have Tuesday be laundry day without the other 10 million things I have to do!