Monday, July 21, 2008

Back to Work

Today was my first day back to work after a twelve week maternity leave. After I had my first son, a paralegal in my office brought me roses on the day I returned to work. She said the day she dropped her daughter off at daycare for the first time was the worst day of her life and that she cried all day. I remember feeling really uncomfortable because I had not cried, and in fact, had dropped him off quite happily. He cried A LOT and I was really looking forward to having an entire day with adults.

Today I refused to feel guilty. For some reason, I was a little more emotional about dropping Trevor off. I think it has to do with how tough of a time he has had with his acid refulx and with the fact that he is much more attached to me than Jordan ever was. But even in the midst of the slight sadness, I didn't feel guilt. He had a great day with people who have taken fantastic care of Jordan since he was a year old. Jordan is so social, verbally expressive and adaptable, and most of the credit for that belongs to Bracktown Academy. I can't wait to see how Trevor's personality develops and how it will be the same and different from Jordan.

No matter how my career evovles over the next few years, I want my boys to see me as a strong and successful woman, but a loving and involved mother. For me, that means that I will have a career of some sort, but do whatever I can to stay connected with their lives and show them how much I love them. And to do that I have to trust the people I have chosen to care for them on weekdays. I am so blessed to have found such a wonderful place.

No comments: