Thursday, July 31, 2008

So . . . . How Is It?

I have answered this question, or some form of it, every day, several times a day, for the past two weeks. It's in reference to leaving the baby at day care and being back at work. What is the appropriate response to this question? "Oh, I'm miserable. I cry all the time. I miss him so much." Is that what people want to hear? I don't think they know what to do when I say, "It's fine." Very confidently. I always get, "Oh, I know it's hard to be away. I know you'll miss him, but it will get better." It's like they didn't hear me. I do miss him. I miss both my children during the day, but I don't spend all day thinking about that. Don't get me wrong, I think about them and how wonderful they are and how much I love them, but I don't wallow in guilt. Maybe you're thinking that I'm trying to make up for guilt by writing so much about this, but really, I am not. I am just so uncomfortable and puzzled by how to explain to people that (1) I am not cut out to be a stay at home mom and I am not ashamed of that and (2) I really believe my kids benefit from the day care setting they are in and from having a mother who intellectually challenges herself everyday and contributes to the community. Now let me be clear - I am not suggesting that women who stay at home do not intellectually challenge themselves or contribute to their communities. I am saying that, for me, working and sending my children to a day care that I love and trust is the best option for accomplishing that right now. That could change tomorrow. But I really want people to believe me when I tell them that I'm OK.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm not sure you'll even go back to read this comment, but as I've been reading through from your first post on, I'm finding many of my own thoughts and feelings being played out in your words. And I can't stop reading....